WinRT gotcha – “one shot” Timer BackgroundTask does not unregister after the “one shot”

First up – sorry Jack Reacher fans, this post is not about the novel¬†ūüôā . In my¬†latest Windows¬†10¬†app Event Countdowns¬†I made¬†a¬†very¬†unlucky¬†mistake. When registering¬†its Background Task that should¬†update the¬†app’s tiles¬†every 30 minutes, I used the following code:

At first glance, nothing out of the ordinary. Or so I thought. One day after the app was

How to fix Visual Studio shortcuts when ReSharper doesn’t play well

Let me say this РReSharper is a wonderful and almost indespesable tool for C# development. The improved IntelliSense features and automatic using statements are themselves worth having it installed. But sometimes it stops playing well with Visual Studio keyboard shortcuts. Quite often shortcuts like Ctrl + F (Quick Find) shortcut stop working when Resharper is first installed

WinRT KeyDown fired twice when Enter is pressed

I have noticed a very unusual oddity which occurs when handling the KeyDown event. When the user hits the ‘Enter’ key, the event is actually fired twice (at least this is the case for TextBox¬† and PasswordBox¬† controls on which I have noticed this behavior). Consider the following code snippet:

What will actually happen

How to show touch keyboard on touch interaction with WPF TextBoxes

Updated November 2016 Р.NET Framework 4.6.2 Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) apps have a bit harder life in the touch-enabled world. In WinRT apps, the touch keyboard shows up automatically when a text field gets focus so that the user can type without the need of a classic keyboard (no interrupting of her touch workflow). For

A Developer’s Guide to Windows 10

Now is the best time to learn Windows 10 development! Microsoft has released an updated version of their developer’s guide to the new Universal Windows Platform for Windows 10 on Microsoft Virtual Academy. Featuring¬†Andy Wigley¬†and Shen Chauhan , this tutorial will walk you through everything new in the Windows 10 development world and will show

Experiencing HoloLens at BUILD 2015

This year for the second time around I attended Microsoft Build 2015 developer conference in San Francisco. Among the biggest highlights of the show was the demonstration of Microsoft HoloLens – the revolutionary holographic reality device coming with Windows 10. I was lucky enough to be able to experience it first hand so I would

Windows 10

Microsoft Windows 10 was released on 29th July to the public. The newest iteration of the number one operating system in the world of PCs brings along a myriad of enhancements and improvements which make it a perfect choice for everyone using a previous version of Windows or a sub-par OS like Mac OS X. Best